The Christmas Season is such a cheerful, social time of the year. Parties abound! Getting together with your friends for lunch or dinner is a fabulous way to connect, and delicious snacks, sweet treats, flavourful wines and tempting cocktails are all around you. When all is said and done after the parties are over, you could end up feeling the effects physically in a less than joyful way.
Here’s the solution: 5 top tips to thrive while you celebrate this Christmas, including the reasons why each one is so important. Follow these proven tips to feel great while you celebrate the festivities, so you can have vitality and incredible energy all the way through the season and beyond New Year’s. You might even want to skip the usual ‘get healthier’ New Year’s Resolution!
1. Drink plenty of water. During cocktail parties or social gatherings, alternate drinking water with alcoholic beverages (have 1 glass of water after every alcoholic drink). As long as you have a beverage in your hand, most people won’t even notice that it’s water, and it’s perfectly acceptable to offer a ‘toast’ with a glass of water.
Here’s why: Every system in your body needs water in order to function properly, including your nerves, brain, skin, muscles, joints and digestion. Water will dilute the concentration of alcohol and/or sugar in the bloodstream, helping kidney function and helping your blood sugar stay balanced. It will also reduce your chance of driving under the influence of alcohol.
2. Get plenty of restful sleep by sticking to your usual healthy bedtime routine.
Here’s why: During sleep your body regenerates, heals and resets it’s systems, ready for the next day. Quality sleep can help your body maintain a healthy immune system, and lower your risk of developing chronic illnesses. Adequate sleep is important for brain functioning, learning, memory and making good decisions. Your mood and emotional health are positively affected by getting enough sleep. Reaction time improves with sufficient sleep – a safety factor in driving.
3. Eat plenty of fresh vegetables and fruits by increasing your intake of fresh, whole foods and decreasing your consumption of refined foods and sweets. When entertaining be sure to have some healthier alternatives such as a tray of fresh fruits and/or a platter of fresh veggies alongside some of your traditional holiday fare.
Here’s why: Fresh vegetables and fruits contain nutritional elements that are not found in refined foods. Refined foods are full of chemicals, flavor enhancers, excessive sugars and have absolutely no nutritional value – they are actually a source of physical stress to your body and cause a build up of toxins. Fresh, whole foods nourish your body and help maintain your energy level. Vegetables and fruits contain vitamins, minerals, fiber, phytonutrients and antioxidants that your body requires in order to maintain a strong immune system and vibrant health.
4. Eat 3 balanced meals every day (don’t skip meals!). When there are cocktail parties or big dinners on the agenda, it’s easy to fall into the habit of skipping lunch so that you ‘save room’ for the food you will be consuming later in the day. This is not a good idea…
Here’s why: Your body needs the right nutrition at intervals throughout the day to maintain a consistent and healthy blood sugar level and to sustain your energy. Three balanced meals, and balanced snacks give your body the right amount of protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals to maintain optimal health and stamina. By skipping meals your blood sugar can easily drop too low, leaving you in a negative cycle of headaches, jitters, brain fog, irritability, lack of concentration, fatigue and massive cravings. This whole scenario leads to binge eating of whatever food happens to be easily accessible at the time, which most often is fast food or highly refined, sugary foods. You end up eating more food, the wrong type of food, and your weight goes up… a triple negative!
5. Get enough exercise. Stick to your established exercise routine, even though it can require creative planning to fit it into your Christmas schedule. If you don’t yet have an exercise routine and you have been considering getting started on one – don’t put it off until the New Year. The best time to start is NOW.
Here’s why: By sticking to your exercise plan or starting a new one now – you will already be motivated and set up to start the New Year off in a healthy way. Exercise is tremendously important to maintain optimal wellness. I have included a list of 10 benefits, even though there are many more than that. Exercise will:
1. Increase overall energy level. It seems counter-intuitive, but expending energy to exercise will actually increase your energy level!
2. Regulate blood sugar balance so your body will naturally produce less insulin, which will protect your pancreas.
3. Help maintain healthy body weight.
4. Keep muscles and joints healthy, including helping with physical balance and reducing the risk of falls.
5. Improve cardiovascular functioning, reducing the risk of heart related events.
6. Increase immune system functioning, to help you fight infections, colds and flu.
7. Help maintain healthy digestion and waste removal through the digestive tract.
8. Help build overall muscle mass. Increased muscle mass equals a higher metabolic rate, which means you will be burning more calories even when sleeping.
9. Help reduce stress. During exercise the brain naturally releases ‘feel good’ hormones (endorphins), which relieves stress and helps with depression.
10. Help lungs function better, which increases blood circulation.
Having exceptional health over the Christmas Holidays doesn’t mean you have to give up Christmas traditions, socializing and celebrating. It’s all about planning, making healthy choices and finding a balance that works for you. By using these 5 tried and true tips you will be able to enjoy good food, great friends, family gatherings AND bring in the New Year with vim and vigor!
When it comes to long-term health – are you bothered by never-ending cravings? Do you often experience good energy then suddenly your energy crashes, leaving you fatigued? Has your physician been telling you to watch your diet due to possibly becoming diabetic? If you answered yes to any of these questions, contact me – I can help. The Sugar Switch™ System is a natural way to balance your blood sugar, completely reverse pre-diabetes and avoid the horrendous health issues of diabetes. You will be able to increase your energy and get off the fast track to diabetes by harnessing the power of nutrition to build a healthy lifestyle that lasts!
Dr. Chris Carruthers – Why Waste Time Sleeping?
Copyright © 2016 Cathy Ormon – All Rights Reserved