The body is an amazing machine and has six main channels or key ways to eliminate toxins and waste. They are the lungs, the liver, the lymphatic system, blood, the bowels and the kidneys.
These six organs all work together to keep your body functioning at it’s peak. These days exposure to toxins is very difficult to avoid. Your body takes in toxins when you are in contact with pollution, pesticides or other chemicals, or when you eat processed food, Fortunately, you can help with detoxification through healthy dietary changes, and eating whole foods. A big step towards supporting your body’s detox process is to understand the role of each of these six important channels.
Here are some suggestions to help keep your detox channels working at peak efficiency:
- Lungs: To help the lungs stay clean and functioning at their best try to get plenty of exercise. Deep breathing exercises in fresh air for about 15 minutes per day will also be beneficial. Avoiding smoking is always a good idea when it comes to health of our lungs.
- Liver: The liver metabolizes everything from food to alcohol, making it an important part of our detox system. When functioning properly, the liver takes waste out of the blood, and stores nutrients. Limiting the consumption of alcohol and having a diet full of foods rich in antioxidants will help to detoxify the liver naturally.
- The Lymphatic system protects your body from illness and disease. Fatigue and illness are often the result of a lymphatic system that is not functioning at its best. To keep the lymphatic system healthy, make sure your diet is rich in whole foods instead of processed foods. Other things that might help are: a lymphatic massage, exercise, and sitting in a sauna, as sweating purges toxins from this system.
- Blood: Our blood is the transporter of nutrients and other substances throughout the body. When the blood is kept clean through detoxification, it will be better equipped to deliver nutrients to all of our organs. To help keep our blood clean: drink plenty of filtered water to stay hydrated and eat plenty of fiber. Sweating from exercise also cleanses the blood.
- Bowels: The colon’s job is to break down the various nutrients from the food we consume, and to eliminates waste through feces. To help the colon have peak performance: eat plenty of high-fiber foods (aim for a minimum of 30 grams of fiber each day) and drink at least 8 glasses of pure, filtered water every day.
- Kidneys: The way in which the kidneys eliminate waste is by producing urine. One of the main causes of ineffective kidneys is dehydration. To help the kidneys do their job efficiently and to avoid dehydration: make sure you drink at least 8 glasses of water every day.
Expensive supplements marketed specifically to detoxify your body are not alway the best choice. You can help your body detox naturally, and support this process by eating nutritious whole foods, getting enough exercise, and drinking pure water every day.
Written by Cathy Ormon, with some content used under license, © 2012 Sprouted Content, LLC
Copyright © 2013 Cathy Ormon – All Rights Reserved