Nuts are a healthy and versatile food, which can be eaten as a snack or added to a main meal. They are easy to take along when you are on the go and need a healthy pick-me-up. One interesting point about nuts is that they are both a protein and a carbohydrate, and they are low glycemic. Nuts also have a fairly long shelf life.
Seven of the many nutrients that are in nuts:
- Unsaturated fats (omega 3 and/or omega 6 fatty acids) – which protect the heart and reduce inflammation.
- Vitamin E – an antioxidant; promotes healthy aging; beneficial for arteries; is thought to protect against Alzheimer’s disease.
- Manganese – a necessary co-factor for our body’s enzymes; helps eliminate free radicals.
- Potassium – important for our cells and the fluids in our body
- Fiber – important for the digestive process and helps reduce cholesterol
- Protein – helps repair and build the body’s cells, muscles and bone matrix
- L-arginine – healthy for artery walls, making them more flexible with less likelihood of blood clots
“Activating” raw nuts:
Raw nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans etc) have a natural enzyme inhibitor on them. This enzyme inhibitor is a natural protective mechanism, which protects it from pests. This is not harmful for us, but it makes the nuts much more difficult to digest.
“Activating” the raw nuts removes this enzyme inhibitor and makes the nuts super healthy and easy to digest. The activation process is very easy:
- Soak the nuts in water for 12 to 24 hours, rinsing the nuts periodically. They will swell slightly as they will soak up some of the water.
- Drain the nuts and dehydrate them at a low temperature to keep them raw (either in a dehydrator, or on a very low temperature setting in your oven). Dehydrate them until they are as crunchy as you like them.
- Store the activated raw nuts in the refrigerator.
And there are so many wonderful and delicious nuts to choose from – the variety seems almost endless! Enjoy a handful of healthy nuts between meals or after your workout.
Are you interested in learning more about the nutrition of nuts? Are you wondering which healthy, nutritious foods would be good to add to your dietary lifestyle? Are you wanting to clear up the confusion about which foods are truly healthy and energizing? I can help! Contact me, and let’s work together to help you take your health to the next level!