Vitamin D is an amazing vitamin! More and more research is being done and it is gaining a reputation of being one of the most important vitamins – bar none. Experts now agree that vitamin D is crucial to achieving and maintaining good health.
Here are 12 facts about Vitamin D – information that may surprise you:
- Vitamin D is quite likely the most under-rated nutrient – most people don’t know how important it really is.
- Vitamin D can help prevent many health problems, including depression, cancer, osteoporosis, obesity, and diabetes – to name a few.
- Vitamin D, which is also known as calciferol, is actually a steroid hormone instead of a true vitamin.
- Many people know that your body produces vitamin D when your skin is exposed to sunlight. But most people don’t realize that the skin must be free of clothing, sunblock, and sunscreen for this process to work.
- Glass stops the penetration of the sun’s natural healing rays that produce vitamin D.
- The further away from the equator you live, the more time you need to spend in the sun to generate vitamin D.
- Vitamin D is generated 20 to 30 times more easily by people with fair skin than it is by people with dark skin pigmentation.
- Your body self regulates the production of vitamin D, making it virtually impossible to get too much from exposure to sunlight.
- Your liver and kidneys must activate the vitamin D in your body before it can be used. Liver damage or kidney disease will impair this process.
- There is a simple test that could indicate vitamin D deficiency: press firmly on your sternum; if it hurts – it is possible that you have chronic vitamin D deficiency.
- Calcium absorption (in your intestines) cannot take place without sufficient levels on vitamin D. Low levels of vitamin D make calcium supplementation futile.
- Significant amounts of vitamin D are not found in foods, except possibly in some marine species. This makes vitamin D “the sunlight vitamin”.
More than half of all North Americans are deficient in vitamin D, without even knowing it! While all experts agree that the best way to get your vitamin D is from exposure to sunlight – modern indoor lifestyles and seasonal variations in sun exposure make this nearly impossible. According to Lyle MacWilliam in his book Nutritional Supplements Consumer Edition 2011 Edition – “everyone living outside of the tropics or living a predominantly indoor lifestyle simply must supplement or they will become vitamin D deficient.”
To quote Dr. Michael Holick from his book The Vitamin D Solution, “If you had to choose a single nutrient that would help you ward off heart disease, cancer, diabetes, obesity, dementia, influenza, bacterial infections, depression, insomnia, muscle weakness, fibromyalgia, osteomalacia, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis, psoriasis, multiple sclerosis, and hypertension, it would be vitamin D.”
Are you living a predominantly indoor lifestyle? Are you suffering from any of the conditions that Dr. Michael Holick mentions? Are you possibly vitamin D deficient? Do you need a high quality vitamin D supplement that is free of fillers, produced under strict quality control, and is guaranteed to contain exactly what is printed on the label? If you answered YES to any of these questions – I can help! Contact me to for more information. I can help with nutritional guidance to help you live your life to the fullest and avoid common chronic illnesses.
Dr. Michael Holick – The Vitamin D Solution
Lyle MacWilliam – Nutritional Supplements Consumer Edition 2011
Copyright © 2013 Cathy Ormon – All Rights Reserved