Here is an interesting new twist on Hummus. Beets are a super healthy veggie – full of antioxidants. The recipe was in a digital newsletter I received from Margaret Dron (Gluten Free Expo). Thank you, Margaret.
I omitted the tahini, although I could have used unsweetened nut butter (like almond butter). The hummus was quite thick, so I added a couple of tablespoons of water. Alternatively, I could have added more lemon juice.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: none
Servings: many servings as a veggie dip or spread
Equipment used: food processor
3 small or 2 medium cooked beets
1 (5oz) can chickpeas
2 cloves garlic
Juice of ½ lemon
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp fine grain sea salt
1 Tbsp tahini or unsweetened nut butter
¼ cup olive oil
cilantro, parsley or additional olive oil for garnish
- Place beets in the food processor and pulse until they are finely chopped.
- Add all other ingredients – except the olive oil. Process until well combined.
- Slowly add the olive oil while blending. Blend until the hummus is perfectly smooth
- Spoon hummus into a dish, drizzle with olive oil, and garnish with parsley or cilantro.
- Serve with fresh vegetables or whole grain (gluten free) crackers.