This is a wonderful and unusual salad, full of antioxidants, phytonutrients, fiber, vitamin C, potassium and folate. Fennel has a unique licorice-like flavour, and it contains phytonutrients that help reduce inflammation. Beets are incredibly healthy as well!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
2 large beets
1 small fennel bulb
1 bunch mint leaves
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Place beets in a pot, cover with 1 inch with water and boil for 20-30 minutes, until a fork pierces easily through the middle of each beet.
- While beets are cooking, wash fennel and slice very thin.
- Chiffonade mint (chop into thin ribbons).
- Zest oranges and juice them into a bowl; add balsamic vinegar.
- When beets are cooked, drain them in the sink and rinse under cold water. Peel the skin off beets with hands and chop beets into1/4-inch thick, quarter rounds.
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
This salad is famous for converting non-beet eaters into beet lovers!
From the Institute for Integrative Nutrition