Soup is a great way to warm up on a cool, crisp fall day or a cold, snowy winter day. This soup is very healthy, as cabbage is a member of the vigorous cruciferous family of vegetables that have a high amount of antioxidants. Enjoy!
Prep time: 10 min
Cooking time: approximately 40 minutes
1 lb ground chicken (or turkey)
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 bay leaves
½ tsp each: dried thyme, marjoram, sea salt
¼ tsp pepper
pinch of ground cloves
4 cups chopped cabbage
3 carrots, cut in half lengthwise and sliced
2 stalks celery, sliced
3 cups gluten free chicken stock
4 cups water
1 cup cooked brown rice or quinoa
- In a large soup pot, cook the ground chicken in the coconut oil over medium high heat, stirring often to keep the chicken from forming large clumps.
- Add the onion, garlic, bay leaves, and spices – stirring often. Cook until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cabbage, carrots and celery. Add the chicken stock and water. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until the cabbage is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked brown rice or quinoa and heat through, about 2 minutes.
- Remove and discard the bay leaves.
- Serve with a lemon wedge.