These delicious cupcakes are gluten-free, dairy free and diabetic friendly, as they contain loads of protein and fiber, and very little sugar. Coconut sugar is a healthy form of sugar, yet xylitol can be substituted instead, if desired. This makes a great, healthy snack for school lunches or at the office!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Prep notes: use a food processor for best results
Baking time: 18 – 19 minutes
Servings: 12 cupcakes
1 ¼ cups black beans, drained and rinsed
2 Tbsp water
½ cup quinoa flour
½ cup chickpea flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
½ cup coconut sugar (or xylitol)
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp xanthan gum
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place 12 parchment cupcake liners in a muffin / cupcake pan & set aside.
- Place the black beans in a food processor along with the 2 Tbsp of water and process until fairly smooth.
- Add the egg and process again until smooth.
- Add both flours, cocoa powder, coconut sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and xanthan gum. Process to blend.
- Add vanilla and applesauce. Process until well blended and fairly smooth.
- Fold in chocolate chips by hand.
- Divide the cupcake mixture evenly into the prepared muffin / cupcake pan.
- Bake for 18 to 19 minutes.
- Cool cupcakes slightly before moving them onto a baking rack to finish cooling.