These unusual and tasty muffins have a moist texture and make a super healthy snack. The sweet potato (or yam) provides loads of vitamins, minerals and fiber. The muffins can be made dairy free if you choose to add unsweetened almond milk instead of dairy milk.
Prep time: 20 minutes, which includes steaming of sliced sweet potato for 7 to 10 minutes
Baking time: 20 to 23 minutes
Yield: 12 muffins
2 cups sweet potato (or yam) – peeled, cooked and mashed
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
1/8 cup milk, or unsweetened almond milk
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup cocoa powder
¼ cup buckwheat flour or quinoa flour
¼ cup coconut sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp xanthan gum
¼ cup chopped pistachios or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line muffin tin with parchment baking cups.
- In a large bowl mix wet ingredients: mashed sweet potato, applesauce, milk (or almond milk), eggs and vanilla.
- In a medium size bowl mix the dry ingredients: cocoa powder, buckwheat flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, xanthan gum and pistachios.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix well.
- Spoon into prepared muffin tin. Bake for 20 to 23 minutes. Cool on wire rack.