This is a very healthy soup with lots of flavor. Yams are a sweet vegetable that can help curb sweet cravings, and they are full of vitamins. Cauliflower is part of the cruciferous family of vegetables – a group of veggies known for their high vitamin content, and anti-inflammatory properties.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: approximately 20 minutes
Servings: 4 – 6
2 yams, peeled and sliced
4 cups water or vegetable stock
juice of 1 lemon
1 onion, chopped
2 cups cauliflower florets/ small pieces
1 (400ml) can coconut milk
1 ½ Tbsp red chili paste
1 Tbsp miso paste
2 Tbsp gluten free soy or tamari sauce
cilantro leaves to garnish OR Cilantro & Mint Pesto (recipe below)
- In a large soup pot cook the yam slices in the water or stock until the yams are soft. Put the yams and water into a blender or food processor and puree. The pureed mixture will become thick – add more water if necessary.
- Return the pureed yam mixture to the pot. Add the lemon juice, chopped onion and cauliflower florets. Simmer over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, mix the chili paste, miso paste and tamari sauce in a small bowl.
- Add the coconut milk and the chili paste mixture to the soup. Mix well. Continue to simmer the soup until the cauliflower is soft.
- Serve with cilantro leaves or Cilantro & Mint Pesto as garnish (recipe below)
Cilantro & Mint Pesto
This pesto is very easy to make and adds a splash or color and interesting flavor to the Creamy Yam & Cauliflower Soup!
½ cup fresh cilantro leaves
¼ cup fresh mint leaves
1/3 cup pistachio nuts, lightly toasted
2 Tbsp coconut oil (melted) or olive oil
juice of 1 lemon
Blend all ingredients in a food processor or blender to desired consistency.
Garnish top of Creamy Yam & Cauliflower Soup – enjoy!