Stews that contain root vegetables are very healthy for us, with such benefits as helping circulation, building the body’s immune system, helping to reduce cravings and fighting free radicals. This Beef Stew goes well with Biscuits (Gluten Free).
Prep time: 10 – 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour and 5 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
1 Tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
1 to 1.5 lb stewing beef, fat trimmed off and cut into 1” chunks
1 large onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, sliced
3 large carrots, sliced
1/2 medium sized rutabaga or turnip, peeled and cut into bite sized chunks
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp ground black pepper, or to taste
2 cups beef broth, low sodium
1 cup green beans, cut into chunks OR frozen green peas
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp coconut flour + 1/3 cup water
- Heat the coconut oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Cook the beef chunks, stirring often, until browned. Remove beef from the pan with a slotted spoon – leaving the liquid in the pan. Set the beef aside.
- Add the onion, celery, carrot and turnip/rutabaga to the pot and cook, stirring often, until the onion is tender (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in the thyme, salt, pepper and garlic. Add the beef and the beef broth.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and cook for 45 minutes.
- Stir in the green beans (or peas) and lemon juice. Continue to cook for about 15 minutes.
- Whisk together the coconut flour and the 1/3 cup water in a small bowl. Stir this into the stew (to thicken it). Cook the stew for an additional 5 minutes or until it thickens.