This Cauliflower Pizza Crust is absolutely AMAZING! It makes a great thin crust pizza that is both gluten free and extremely healthy!!
My husband Dave made this pizza crust for us because I cannot eat wheat, and he loves pizza (with beer of course)! He was skeptical that it would even turn out. After making it he was totally amazed on two counts: that it turned out wonderfully and that the resulting pizza actually tasted just like ordinary thin crust pizza! The recipe is not hard to make, but it takes about the same amount of time to make as a wheat and yeast based pizza crust from scratch (about 2 hours). It is really worth the time and effort!
This recipe is from Foodwishes.com via Allrecipes.com, and it is by Chef John. Here is a link that will take you to Allrecipes.com, where you can watch a video by Chef John. I recommend that you watch the video (about 7 minutes long) if you are interested in making this recipe. Chef John has a good sense of humour and he gives some tips in his video.
Here is Chef John’s recipe…
Total time: about 2 hours
Yield: 1 10” thin pizza crust
1 cauliflower, cored and separated into florets
½ cup water
½ tsp salt
2 oz fresh goat cheese
½ oz finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1 large egg
1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Puree cauliflower in a food processor until finely ground.
- Cook cauliflower, water and salt together in a skillet over medium high heat until fragrant and most of the water evaporates, 5 – 6 minutes. Cool completely.
- Transfer cauliflower to the centre of a clean dish towel. Wrap and squeeze tightly to remove all excess moisture. You should have about 1 ½ cups of cauliflower pulp.
- Stir cauliflower, goat cheese, grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, egg and cayenne pepper in a bowl to form a soft dough. Gather dough into a ball and place in the centre of prepared baking sheet. Press dough into a circle about ¼” thick.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven until golden brown and set, about 40 minutes. Cool and turn the crust over before topping.
To make a pizza:
- Turn the oven up to 450 degrees F
- Flip your Cauliflower Pizza Crust over.
- Top with your favorite pizza toppings.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the cheese melts. Enjoy!!
Variation: For a pizza without cow’s milk dairy products – use goat cheese in the topping instead of dairy milk cheese (‘Greek Pizza’).