This easy, gluten free and dairy free Chia Porridge provides a filling breakfast, which contains protein and fiber. Adding fresh berries gives it an even bigger nutritional punch with vitamins, nutrients and antioxidants! Chia seeds are a nutrient dense, protein and fiber rich whole food that is easily utilized by the body. Buckwheat is a gluten free, highly nutritious seed that contains high quality protein and fiber. This recipe is an adaptation of a recipe published in Alive Magazine.
Prep time: 3 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes total
Makes 2 large servings
2 cups unsweetened coconut milk or unsweetened almond milk
½ cup chia seeds
¼ cup of raw buckwheat groats, rinsed
¾ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ground ginger
1 whole cardamom (seed)
¼ tsp allspice
1 Tbsp coconut sugar
½ cup of water (or more, if desired)
Suggested fruit: blueberries, raspberries, chopped strawberries – either fresh or frozen.
¼ cup chopped Medjool dates, desired amount of raw almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds
- Heat the coconut milk or almond milk in a saucepan – not necessary to
- Add the chia seeds, and rinsed buckwheat groats – stir well. Add the spices and coconut sugar – stir well again.
- Cover and simmer on low for 8 to 10 minutes. It gets thick. Add ½ cup of water or more until the porridge is desired consistency.
- If you are adding frozen fruit: Stir into the porridge during the last two minutes of cooking. It will thaw by time you are ready to eat the porridge.
- Remove from heat and let it stand (covered) for up to 5 minutes before serving.
- Remove the cardamom. Add fresh fruit or optional toppings and serve.