This is a great recipe that is made ahead in a slow cooker. It can be served with a quinoa salad and a vegetable, and it works well for backyard Bar-b-q gatherings. Or if you are in Calgary, it’s a good way to serve up beef at your next western stampede-style party. The beef is tender and could be a ‘beef on a bun’ type of meal. Use whole grain buns and simply add a couple of healthy salads, and you’ve got it made!
Equipment: slow cooker
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 8 hours
1 large onion, chopped
3 cans of tomato sauce (14 oz each)
½ cup coconut sugar
1/3 cup vinegar
3 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp gluten free soy sauce
2 tsp sea salt
1 ½ tsp dry mustard
2 tsp garlic powder
4 lb boneless beef chuck, round or cross rib roast
- Put all ingredients, except the roast, in a slow cooker. Mix well.
- Add the roast. Spoon the sauce over the roast to coat it.
- Cover and cook on high for 7 hours.
- Shred the meat: remove the roast onto a cutting board. Use two forks to pull the meat apart.
- Return the pulled beef to the slow cooker; cook for 1 more hour on low setting.