This unusual, gluten free, healthy dessert is an alternative for regular cake. The quinoa is packed with protein and fiber, which keeps the cake from being high glycemic (keeps it from causing blood sugar issues). I have made slight adjustments to the original recipe from Allrecipes.com.
Prep time: 5 minutes for the cake, 10 minutes for the glaze
Cooking time: 40 – 45 minutes
Refrigeration time: 2 – 3 hours
Servings: 15 to 20
3 cups of unsweetened apple juice
3 cups of water
3 cups of white quinoa
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
2 cups fresh or frozen (unsweetened) blueberries
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
2 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp corn starch
Juice of 1 lemon
1 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- Mix apple juice, water, vanilla, and quinoa in a large pot. Cover, bring to a boil then reduce heat. Simmer until quinoa is tender and the liquid has been absorbed (takes about 40 – 45 minutes). Remove from heat.
- Fold blueberries into the cooked quinoa while it hot.
- Pour the quinoa-blueberry mixture into a greased 9” X 13” baking dish. Press down slightly. Let it cool while you prepare the glaze.
- To make the glaze:
- o In a small bowl mix the corn starch and water.
- o In a small saucepan, combine almond milk, corn starch mixture, maple syrup and lemon juice.
- o Cook over medium high heat, stirring constantly until the glaze becomes thick (2 – 3 minutes).
- Pour the hot glaze over the quinoa blueberry cake, covering it completely. Cool to room temperature. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 – 3 hours.