Here is a good gluten free pancake recipe – great for a family gathering or a long weekend Sunday breakfast. This recipe can also be made dairy free by substituting your favorite nut milk instead of dairy milk.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
1 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 cup quinoa flour
1/2 cup amaranth flour
1/4 cup xylitol (in place of sugar)
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 1/4 cups 1% milk (or nut milk for dairy free pancakes)
4 large eggs
1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled (or substitute unsweetened applesauce)
1 cup blueberries – fresh or frozen
olive oil or coconut oil as needed – to coat pan
- Reserve 3 Tbsp of one of the flours (use later to coat the blueberries).
- Mix all remaining dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre of this mixture.
- In a separate bowl – beat the eggs, add the butter and milk. Mix well. Pour this liquid mixture into the centre well of the dry ingredients. Stir just until moistened. Don’t over-mix the pancake batter.
- Heat a griddle or large skillet over medium heat. Oil lightly to keep pancakes from sticking to the pan.
- Place blueberries in a separate bowl and toss gently with reserved flour mixture. Fold berries into the prepared batter.
- Drop the pancake batter onto the hot pan by large spoonfuls (approximately 1/4 cup per pancake). Cook for 2 – 3 minutes until bubbles appear on the upper surface and the edges are set. Flip the pancakes and continue cooking for another 2 – 3 minutes, until they are golden brown and the centre is cooked. Adjust the skillet heat as required.