Have you been hearing a lot lately about ‘Green Smoothies’ and wondering what all the fuss is about? You may even be thinking that it doesn’t sound very appetizing, let alone healthy! Well, I thought the same thing as well – until I tried making them for myself! I have found green smoothies to be a great way to get lots of nutrients & antioxidants fairly quickly in one meal – breakfast! While they might not be for everyone – I encourage you to read on… perhaps live on the edge, and try making one or two for yourself!
First, lets talk about some of the benefits to making your own Green Smoothies. Here are six benefits:
- It is custom made just for YOU. You get to choose the ingredients using healthy foods with life force – foods that you like. Or – if you are using smoothies for their healing powers – you can choose live foods that will help the various systems in your body (your immune system, circulatory system, nervous system, your digestion, etc).
- A homemade smoothie can be healthier than many of the packaged smoothies because you have control over the type of healthy fat you use, the amount of sugar you use (generally from fruits), you can very easily make it dairy and gluten free (if that is important), using green vegetables makes it alkaline which is good for the body, and there are no preservatives of any kind.
- Your smoothie is always fresh, because you just made it.
- By using whole live foods – the smoothie will give your body energy and nutrition with plenty of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
- Smoothies can be made with vegetables or a combination of fruits and vegetables. (Note: I don’t recommend a smoothie with just fruits because that would be high glycemic and force the body to produce excess insulin to deal with the excess blood sugar = not healthy.
- If you are a busy person, always on the go – it can be a meal replacement and save you time. You can even put it in a bottle and take it with you (it is NOT recommended to try and consume this while you are driving, though).
There are lots of smoothie recipes easily obtainable, but how do you custom-make a nutritious Green Smoothie? Here’s the basic recipe, which you can adjust to suit your tastes and needs:
- You will need a blender, a food processor or a high speed blender.
- Select 1 or 2 fruits such as apple, pear, orange, mango, ½ banana (avoid using a whole banana because of it’s high sugar content), avocado, kiwi, or some berries. Wash, peel, core and chop as necessary. Put them in the bottom of your blender.
- Select some healthy green vegetables and herbs such as celery, cucumber, lettuce, kale, broccoli, cilantro, parsley, perhaps some fresh ginger and maybe some fresh lemon. Wash and chop as necessary – put into your blender.
- Choose a healthy liquid – such as coconut water, or filtered tap water. (1 to 2 cups). Put that in your blender and blend it up.
- If you are using the smoothie as a meal replacement, such as for breakfast – you will need to add a healthy protein source such as raw walnuts or almonds or hemp hearts, or chia seeds. Alternatively you could buy a healthy protein powder, such as Pumpkin Seed Powder or Hemp Seed Powder from a health food store (be sure to read the label to avoid unhealthy products with hidden sugars and unnecessary additives). Blend again.
- If you are making a meal replacement smoothie – to make your smoothie balanced nutritionally – you will need to add a healthy fat source. That could be from walnuts, almonds or from avocado. Or, you could add a Tbsp of a healthy oil such as extra virgin olive oil, flaxseed oil, or avocado oil. (NOTE: oils such as canola oil, sunflower oil and soy oil are not recommended)
- Blend again – pour out and enjoy!
If you’d like to try a healthy Green Smoothie – but not a custom-made one – here are three delicious Green Smoothie Recipes. The first two could be meal replacements, and the third one makes a great mid-morning pick-me-up. Enjoy!
With summer coming – ice chips could be added to your smoothie to make it a refreshingly cool, and nutritious drink. When you use the healthiest ingredients that are live foods you will have an incredibly nourishing and delicious Green Smoothie that will give your body energy and increase your body’s antioxidant level.
Interested in learning more about healthy and/or healing ingredients for your smoothies? Are you wondering why or chia seeds would be a wonderful and healthy addition to your smoothies? If you answered YES to either of these two questions – I can help with the answers! Contact me.
Copyright © 2013 Cathy Ormon – All Rights Reserved