This is a variation of a delicious recipe from EatingWell.com.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 – 50 minutes
Total time: 1 hour + 5 minutes
5 cups water
1 cup wild rice, rinsed
2 tsp extra virgin coconut oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 medium red pepper, seeded and diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 ½ tsp ground cumin
½ cup dried apricots, diced (unsulphured)
½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
¼ tsp sea salt
fresh ground pepper to taste
2/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/3 cup shelled pistachios, coarsely chopped (cashews could be substituted)
- Bring the water to a boil in a large pot. Add the rice, cover and reduce heat. Cook until the rice is tender and the grains are starting to split – about 45 minutes or so. Drain well.
- About 5 minutes before the rice is done, heat the coconut oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes or until softened. Add the red pepper, garlic and cumin – cook for about 1 minute.
- Add apricots, orange juice, salt and pepper. Simmer until the apricots have become plump and the liquid has reduced slightly – takes about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in the wild rice. Remove from the heat and stir in the green onions.
- Sprinkle pistachios (or cashews) on top when serving.