This is a recipe by Jennafer Ashley that my husband found on a paleo website. Arrowroot, the main ingredient, is quite unusual and is very healthy. Arrowroot is loaded with vitamins and minerals, protein and a form of starch that helps maintain your body’s healthy pH balance.
I have adjusted the recipe slightly, including alternate ingredients in brackets for anyone that is allergic to almonds and/or nuts. Enjoy!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 6 to 10 minutes per pita
Yield: 5 pitas
2 cups arrowroot powder/flour
½ cup almond flour (or buckwheat flour or quinoa flour or coconut flour)
¼ tsp sea salt
1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or dairy milk)
Optional: add herbs of your choice for flavor variation – such as onion flakes, dried basil, parsley, oregano or ‘herbs provencale’. Nutritional yeast can be added for a cheese type flavor.
• Heat a skillet over medium high heat and melt a small amount of coconut oil.
• Combine arrowroot powder, almond flour (or alternative gluten free flour) and sea salt. Add the eggs and almond milk (or milk). Stir until completely combined. NOTE: more liquid might be required (almond milk, milk or water) if the batter is very thick.
• Use ½ cup measure to pour batter into hot skillet, spreading the batter evenly.
• Cook 5 minutes, then flip and cook an additional 5 minutes. NOTE: For a soft pita that can be folded, cook 3 minutes on each side.
• Cool completely and store in a sealed plastic bag or sealed container. (can be stored in the fridge)
This bread is versatile. It can be used to make a wrap sandwich, used as tortillas in enchiladas, or used as soft taco shells.