October is ‘pumpkin season’! What could be better than pumpkin cheesecake? Pumpkin has amazing health benefits for us. It is one of the foods we can feel good about eating, even as a dessert, provided there are other healthy features of the dessert! This recipe uses healthy alternatives: ricotta cheese instead of cream cheese, and a low amount of coconut sugar instead of a high quantity of refined white sugar. Note: This recipe contains nuts, specifically almonds.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes
Servings: 8 to 10
- 1 cup of almond flour
- ½ cup of crushed, slivered almonds
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp melted butter
- 4 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 ¾ cups pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees)
- Crust: stir together the almond flour, crushed almonds, sugar, baking soda and cinnamon. Add melted butter and stir – mixing until the dry ingredients are evenly moistened. Pour into a 10 inch spring-form pan; press firmly into the bottom.
- Bake the crust for about 10 minutes, until it is set. Remove from the oven.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Place a pan of hot water on the bottom rack of the oven to help reduce the cracking of the cheesecake surface.
- In a large bowl beat the filling ingredients together, until the filling is smooth. Pour the filling over the crust.
- Place the cheesecake in the center of the oven and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes. The cheesecake is done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool at room temperature before removing the sides of the spring-form pan.
- When the cheesecake is cool it can be transferred onto a serving plate and covered loosely with plastic wrap. Chill at least 2 hours before serving.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
There is an article that you might be interested in reading: Celebrate with Health & Energizing Sweets! It is in the FREE Membership area of this website. At the bottom of the article there is an option to download a Bonus for Member’s only – an eBook, which contains a baker’s dozen sweet and healthy recipes. Click here to register for the Member’s Site.