This recipe is gluten free and can be made dairy free as well. The quinoa flakes, quinoa flour, chickpea flour and amaranth flour all have protein and fiber. This reduces the glycemic load of the muffins, which eliminates blood sugar issues. Enjoy!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 17 – 20 minutes
Yield: 24 muffins
1 cup quinoa flakes
1 cup milk (or unsweetened almond milk)
¾ cup quinoa flour
½ cup chickpea flour
½ cup amaranth flour
¼ cup coconut flour
½ cup xylitol or coconut sugar
5 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
1½ tsp xanthan gum
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups mashed ripe banana (4-5 medium bananas)
1 c fresh or frozen raspberries (or blueberries or blackberries or 1 c dried cranberries)
1. Combine quinoa flakes and milk; set aside.
2. Mix dry ingredients; set aside.
3. To soaked quinoa flakes add: eggs, applesauce, vanilla, mashed bananas, fresh or frozen berries – mix well.
4. Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients, mixing until flour is moistened.
5. Put in greased muffin tins and bake at 375 degrees F for 17 – 20 minutes. (option: instead of greasing the tins, use parchment paper muffin cups – makes cleanup a breeze!)