Here is a really delicious and healthy gluten free recipe that can be a pizza crust or a version of an old favorite – garlic cheese bread. Nutritionally – it contains both protein and fiber from the quinoa. The original recipe is by Amanda Finks. See the Variation below to make an easy, low glycemic and gluten free pizza crust. I have adjusted her recipe slightly so that it contains less salt.
Prep and cooking time: 60 to 70 minutes
Cooling time: 5 minutes
1 Tbsp coconut oil
½ cup white quinoa
1 cup water
2 large eggs
1 tsp olive oil
½ tsp garlic salt
1 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp dried oregano
½ tsp dried basil
½ tsp baking powder
¼ cup shredded Italian blend cheese (pizza blend or mozzarella will also work well)
cheese topping: ½ cup shredded Italian blend cheese and 1/8 cup grated parmesan cheese
Optional for dipping: pizza sauce or salsa
Variation: Instead of making bread sticks, use this as a pizza crust. Bake the crust as indicated in the Directions below, top with your favourite healthy pizza toppings and return to the oven for 10 minutes or so. Enjoy!
- Rinse the quinoa well under cool water through a fine mesh strainer. Shake off as much excess water as possible.
- In a medium saucepan melt the coconut oil. Add the quinoa. Cook for 6 to 7 minutes on medium high heat, stirring often, to toast the quinoa (the excess water from rinsing will evaporate).
- Carefully add the water to the toasted quinoa, stirring well. Cover, bring to a boil and cook for 15 minutes – stirring occasionally. Remove the lid, turn the heat to low and cook for 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally, so the excess water evaporates. Transfer the cooked quinoa to a medium sized bowl, set aside and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl beat the eggs. Add the olive oil, garlic salt, garlic powder, oregano, basil and baking powder. Mix well.
- To the cooked quinoa: add the cheese, mixing well. Add the egg mixture, mixing well.
- Spread the quinoa ‘dough’ into a ¼ inch layer on the parchment paper lined baking sheet. Making it into a 10” X 7” rectangle works well.
- Bake for 15 minutes – edges should be starting to turn brown.
- Top with the cheese topping. Return to the oven and bake for 3 to 5 minutes longer to melt the cheese, and ensure the bread is baked enough.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes before slicing into bread sticks.