This healthy and hearty breakfast has two versions: one with oatmeal as the main ingredient, and one with a mixture of oatmeal and quinoa. The oatmeal version does not have enough protein for it to be a nutritionally balanced breakfast, so I suggest eating a handful of nuts with it, or a boiled egg, or some yogurt or cottage cheese. The oatmeal and quinoa version has more protein (from the quinoa) so it is more nutritionally balanced, but eating some nuts, or boiled egg, yogurt or cottage cheese with it would also be fine.
1. Rise & Shine Oatmeal Breakfast
Prep time: 15 – 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 – 35 minutes
Total time: 50 – 60 minutes
3 cups water
1 cup of almond milk, unsweetened
1 cup steel cut oats (gluten free)
1 cup grated carrots (approx. 2 medium carrots)
1/3 cup seedless raisins
1/3 cup currants
¾ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp nutmeg
3 Tbsp coconut sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
½ tsp sea salt
¼ cup sliced almonds
¼ cup raw pumpkin seeds
1 ½ Tbsp grated orange zest (zest from 1 navel orange)
- In a saucepan bring the almond milk and water to a gentle boil. Stir in the oats, carrots, raisins, currants, spices, sugar, vanilla and salt.
- Return to boiling. Reduce the heat, and cook on low (without stirring) until the porridge begins to thicken and the oats are soft and chewy – about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; add sliced almonds, pumpkin seeds and orange zest.
- Cover and let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Serve warm with extra almond milk, if desired. Or top with fresh blueberries.
2. Rise & Shine Oatmeal and Quinoa Breakfast
Follow the recipe above, except make the following 4 changes:
- Reduce the water to 2 cups (instead of 3 cups)
- Reduce the steel cut oats to ½ cup (instead of 1 cup)
- Add ½ cup of quinoa
- Add the quinoa to the mixture in step 1 along with the oats, carrot etc