Chickpeas (garbanzo beans) are a very healthy legume that contains fiber, protein and a whole lot of nutrients – a great combination for a healthy snack. Spicy chickpeas can also be tossed into a green salad to add a bit of zing. You could also add a handful of these chickpea snacks to a homemade trail mix.
Customize the flavor! Vary this recipe by trying other spices and flavor combinations, adjusting to suit your tastes. Some ideas are curry, savory Italian spices, parmesan cheese. Have fun experimenting!
Prep time: 2 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes to 1 hour
1 can unsalted chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
2 Tbsp olive oil
¼ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp cumin (to taste)
¼ tsp coriander
¼ tsp turmeric
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (or to taste)
1/4 tsp chipotle chili powder (or to taste)
½ tsp sea salt (NOTE: no need to add salt if the can of chickpeas already contains salt)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
- In a medium sized bowl mix the chickpeas, olive oil and the spices.
- Spread the coated chickpeas onto the parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until the chickpeas are crispy (careful not to burn them). Be sure to stir or shake them once or twice while baking.
- Remove from oven, cool and enjoy!