Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: none
Refrigeration time: 30 minutes
Equipment needed: food processor
Yield: 8 energy bars
12 large dates, pitted
1 cup raw sunflower seeds
1 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1 cup raw nuts – a mix such as walnuts, almonds, cashews, pecans
2 Tbsp chia seeds
2 Tbsp hemp hearts/seeds
optional spices of your choice, such as powdered ginger, cinnamon, ground anise, etc.
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 Tbsp unpasteurized honey
1 Tbsp water
- Line an 8 X 8 baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place the pitted dates, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, nuts, chia seeds, hemp hearts and spices into a food processor. Process until the mixture is coarse and crumbly.
- In a small saucepan, gently heat the coconut oil and honey together.
- With the food processor running, pour the oil and honey mix into the food processor. Add the water while the processor is still running. The mixture should start to stick together in clumps.
- Put the seed and nut mixture into the parchment lined pan and press the mixture into the pan so it is an even thickness and smooth on top.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Cut into 8 energy bars. Store in the fridge or freezer.
Variation: some dried fruit can be added, such as cranberries, raisins, chunks of apricots, etc.