Making a loaf of trail mix is a great idea! The resulting Trail Mix slices are a healthy, high energy snack to take along on the trail, to the office, or packed into a school lunch. They are low glycemic and contain plenty of protein and fiber, some good fat, and a bit of sweetness.
Or instead of a loaf, individual snack bars can be made. The recipe can be different every time you make it, depending on the mix of nuts and fruits used. You can also vary the recipe by adding flavorful spices of your choice, such as cinnamon or anise. Enjoy!
The idea and the original recipe came from a website called FuelingEndurancePerformance. (the original link I had no longer works)
Adding dried Golden Berries (Inca Berries) to this recipe gives an interesting and refreshing tang!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Baking time – loaf: 50 to 55 minutes; bars: 18 to 20 minutes
Servings- loaf: 14 slices; bars: 11
- 3 cups mixed nuts, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds – use whatever you have on hand, a random combination of walnuts /hazelnuts /cashews /pistachios /almonds
- 1/3 cup ground flax seeds (milled flax seed)
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup dried fruit – use what you have on hand
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper, or line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Coarsely chop the nuts and seeds or pulse in the food processor briefly – you want large chunks. Alternatively, you can chop half the nut and seed mix and leave the rest of it whole – it will still work out just fine!
- Mix nuts and seeds, milled flax seed, coconut sugar and dried fruit together in a large bowl.
- Beat eggs in a small bowl. Add melted coconut oil and mix well. Pour egg mixture on top of the nut and fruit mixture. Mix everything well.
- Loaf: Transfer the mixture to the prepared loaf pan and bake for about 50 to 55 minutes. Remove from baking dish and transfer to a cooling rack. Important: Make sure you let it cool completely before slicing.
- Bars: form individual bars on the parchment lined cookie sheets, and bake until golden, about 18 to 20 minutes. Remove from cookie sheets when cool.
- Store in a sealed plastic bag or plastic container.
There is an article that you might be interested in reading: Celebrate with Health & Energizing Sweets! It is in the FREE Membership area of this website. At the bottom of the article there is an option to download a Bonus for Member’s only – an eBook, which contains a baker’s dozen sweet and healthy recipes. Click here to register for the Member’s Site.